Monday, May 10, 2010

Can the Sutra's Help With Medical Conditions?

While reading through the Sutras, I was caught to this idea of Pranayama. The idea of "Pranayama: control of breath" is "Beneficial to health, steadies the body and is highly conducive to the concentration of the mind" stuck out more then the rest partly because you do not ever hear of many practices like this and partly because of myself having asthma for 20ish years. It makes me wonder if this practice might be beneficial in helping control asthma attacks to those who understand this type of concentration.

I am a man of modern medicine and I believe we are making leaps and bounds in that of medicine for people. Having Asthma for so long has always made me wonder if there is anything else out there that may help in getting rid of this problem. I am an avid user of Advair and Ventolin and I feel I would not be living in todays world without them. Thus comes the predicament, I/We are so dependent on this modern medicine that is the fix of right now but are we overlooking easier and safer practices that can be just as, if not more beneficial then these medicines? Pranayama could be just that fix. If one could fully learn to control their breath through exercises of the mind and body then I do not see why it would not be possible. Granted Asthma deals with mostly airway constriction, it might be a way to get off these med's we have become so dependent on and open a new route to beating this condition. I for one and tired of having to carry my inhaler EVERYWHERE. To be able to fully control ones functions of the body is what I think the Sutras are getting at and why so many people follow this way of living.

1 comment:

  1. It seems that in our current society, people want a quick fix for their various problems, when they fail to fully understand the predicament they are in. The idea of the mind overcoming ailments of the body is an interesting subject that I think should be further explored and useful in modern medicine. The mind’s ability to fully organize the body is undoubtedly powerful. I think self-control and diligence have been neglected in society which has unfortunately caused people to retreat to an easy way out.

    ReplyDelete